Oral hygiene is extremely important. We are unable to start orthodontic treatment on anyone who has poor oral hygiene.
How You Can Keep Your Teeth Healthy
- Brush at least twice a day — at least half an hour after breakfast and before bedtime. Brushing properly breaks down plaque, which is a clear film of bacteria that sticks to your teeth.
- Brush all surfaces of your teeth and gums (don't forget to brush behind your teeth) using circular motions. You can use the forward and backward (scrubbing) motions on the biting surfaces and behind the teeth.
- Take your time while brushing. Spend at least 2 minutes each time you brush (4 minutes if you are wearing a fixed appliance). TIP: If you have trouble keeping track of the time, play a recording of a song you like to help pass the time or use an egg timer.
- Choose the right brush - be sure your toothbrush has medium bristles and a small head. Replace your toothbrush at least every 3 months.
- Use a mouthwash – we recommend that you use a Fluoride mouthwash at a seperate time to brushing.
- Use Interdental brushes - these are designed to get rid of food that's hidden where your toothbrush can't reach, no matter how well you brush. Interdental brushes come in different sizes, so please ask a member of your dental team to help you choose the correct size.
- Brush your tongue - to help keep your breath fresh!
- Visit your dentist regularly – they will check for signs of cavities (holes in your teeth) and gum disease.
- Eat healthy - remember you also need to be careful about what you eat and drink. Try to avoid sugary foods and drinks, especially in-between meals.
Disclosing tablets are great!
We sell these at our practice and most dental practices should have them in stock too.
These are used to help highlight areas you are missing when brushing. After brushing, place a disclosing tablet in your mouth, chew thoroughly and lick all tooth and gum surfaces using your tongue. After around 30 seconds spit out excess saliva. When you see the dyed areas, you can identify the trouble spots to focus on. Brush your teeth until all the stain is removed.
For more information on caring for your fixed brace click here.
Get in touch
We’re based in the heart of Devon Square.
To get in touch please fill out the contact form below.